• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Jaundice, how worried should I be?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackie Chan

Bluelighter
I've been taking percocets, 3-6 at a time few times a week for just over a month. I also would have a few beers with them, but the days I didnt take them I drink more like some days I hwould have a six pack + some vodka. I know it stupid combining alcohol with tylenol like that but I didnt think it was excessive, and the percs didn't really give me that great euphoria by themselves so yeah stupid me. Anyways, I have juandice now, how worried should I be by this? If I just stop everything bad I'm doing and take really good care of myself will I be ok from this? I have pain on my right side but at Christmas I took some otc tylenol/codeine and drank a alot and was feeling a lot more pain. The pain I'm feeling now isn't near as bad. I feel crappy but I think there other reasons for that besides my liver. I've been taking otc tylenol/codeine for a while but not everyday and never more than what it says on the box, but I would have alcohol with it a lot of the time. Also been going through about 10-20 grams of kratom on the weekend but dont know how much thats contributed to this.

I just want to know has other people had jaundice from similiar or worst drug use than I describe and come out fine after that? What can I do to recover from this as soon possible? I have milk thistle and NAC, and I'm planning on getting sam-e from the health store tomorrow. What other stuff should I get that might help? I'm debating if to go to doctor tomorrow, but I already went for something similiar at Christmas time and embarassed to go again for something like this. I'm just REALLY hoping its not that serious. But is this something easy to recover from? Like I said the pain I'm feeling isn't that bad, just feeling all around crappy but trying not to worry about it too much.

I don't want to say anything to overly frighten you and I don't want to say anything to overly reassure you. Just go to a doctor and see what they have to say.

If you had liver enzyme tests done in December and they were normal then, depending on you age, you can't really have done any permanent damage to your liver from drinking alone. Combined with APAP is a whole different ball game though.

Your liver has the remarkable ability to heal itself but it can't heal everything (scar tissue mainly) so seriously just go get checked out. I would also be extremely hesitant about starting a liver detox regime or whatever you are planning without consulting a doctor first. Lay off the herbal remedies for a day or two until you can run them by your doc and make sure they won't make things worse.

^+1
jaundice is not a symptom to ignore or take lightly. it is extremely important that you get to a doctor or hospital asap. like amapola said your liver can be very forgiving but it is essential you get an accurate diagnosis for what is going on.
best of luck to you.
-izzy

NAC, and the other things Jackie Chan mentions all have some proof for benefiting the liver in certain situations but it takes a physician to find the actual cause. Jaundice can be indicative of a problem that needs to be dealt with pretty close to immediately. Maybe you don't need to go to the ER but I don't think you can accept a week's wait on getting into the doctors office either. I would actually go to an ER if I didn't have an appointment within a day.

Mention you are having jaundice when you make the appointment. If what is involved is blocked biliary tubes or the like you are likely doing yourself damage for every bit of time you are not getting help.

I'm a believer in alternative medicine but wouldn't mess around with any remedies or self diagnosis at all were I to detect jaundice. If you have light colored/pale stools or a whole body itch or brownish urine it is becoming more serious and I'd get to the ER now.

Everyone has made very valid and informative points--Go to the emergency room if you cannot get a doctor's appointment within a day.

I had to do a 24-hour food recall on a man who had jaundice. He was so yellow he was almost florescent. Nothing in his medical chart looked good as he let it go awhile. Don't end up like him, seek help now.

Closed because there's nothing anyone should tell you to do but go to the doctors/hospital immediately. Best of luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.